Wednesday, August 10, 2011

If a police asks my to show my ID...?

Is it possible I can say my name and address to them instead and say I do have an ID, but it's in my pocket and I do not consent to a search? Would I still be charged with failing to identify myself? I am one to believe that having an officer tell me to reach into my pockets and pull stuff out sort of violates the 4th amendment, esp since my wallet (where I keep my ID) also has my NRA and Libertarian Party membership cards, which they might use as an excuse to search me further for weapons or drugs (which I would never carry anyways, but I must flex my rights). I have no problem identifying myself to police, but doesn't asking me to pull stuff out of my pockets translate to a search that must include probable cause?

No comments:

Post a Comment